What To Look For When Purchasing A Gas Cylinder Storage Cabinets?
The safety of your employees is your number one priority. Your environmental impact isn’t too far behind. If your operations require you to have gas cylinders on the property, these can, when dropped, tipped, or exposed to heat, create extreme hazards.
So, how can you safely operate your business with minimal risk?
Gas cylinder storage cabinets.
In this article, we will walk you through everything you need to know about gas cylinder storage, from the different types to quality assurance, to finding the cabinet that fits your specific needs and space.
Things to Consider While Buying Gas Cylinder Storage Cabinets
No matter the type, size, or specifications of the storage cabinets you buy, some aspects are non-negotiable.
According to Australian Standard guidelines, as the Australian Dangerous Goods Code considers gas a Class 2 dangerous good, the following are essential when storing gas cylinders:
- Cabinets must provide a mechanism for securing gas cylinders in place, preferably in an upright position (i.e. racking system or chain).
- Cabinets need to be stored in a dry location, outside and above ground, and away from ventilation systems, direct sunlight, and combustible or corrosive materials.
- If stored inside, keep storage cabinets on the ground floor, never on upper floors or in the basement, and away from air ducts, internal windows, or other ventilation systems.
- Cabinets need to be out of high traffic areas where they will not be bumped or jostled.
- Cabinets must have locking mechanisms.
- Objects should not be stored on top of the storage cabinets.
- Signs should be prominent around the storage cabinets to make employees aware of the potential hazards of the space.
Let’s get into how you can customize the storage unit selection process to find a cabinet that meets your requirements.
Types of Gas Cylinder Storage Cabinets
When procuring a cabinet, you will want to buy a vented gas cylinder storage cabinet. Vented cabinets provide airflow, helping to ensure that escaped chemicals do not build up to the point of explosion.
From there, consider the following options based on your needs:
- Compressed gas cylinder storage cabinets for upright storage; and
- Combination storage cabinets that provide storage space for both vertical and horizontal storage.
And finally, select the size that fits your storage needs. Typical sizes include:
Note that your storage needs may vary depending on the type of gas stored. Refer to the specific guidelines for the type of gas you are working with. We’ve included a few reference points below for ease:
- Australian Standard 3961 – Liquefied natural gas storage and handling
- Australian Standard 1596 – The storage and handling of LP Gas
- Australian Standard 2927 – The storage and handling of liquefied chlorine gas
Consider Buying From a Surplus Dealer
If you take a look at the links above, you’ll know that the price of gas cylinder storage is hefty, ranging from $1,000 to $2,500. So, If you need a large or customized cabinet and your budget is tight, or you’re struggling to find what you’re looking for, consider buying from a surplus dealer.
The dealer will help you find what you need within your specifications and budget.
Ask the Surplus Dealer How They Inspect These Cabinets
Given the hazardous nature of gas cylinders, before buying – whether from a dealer or manufacturer – question their inspection process and safety guarantees.
If something in the process seems lacking, or they can’t substantiate that their process is strictly adhered to, shop somewhere else. For the safety of yourself, your employees, and the environment.
For example, quality control processes to look out for include:
- Is each component of the storage cabinet tested for complete functionality?
- Is each component cleaned before installation?
- Are malfunctioning components replaced?
- Was a visual inspection completed to check for evidence of physical, fire, or heat damage, and rusting or corrosion?
- Was the gas cylinder storage cabinet tested for compliance with fire standards?
Make Sure the Surplus Dealer Can Modify Cabinets That They Have In Stock In Order to Suit Your Specific Needs
You may find yourself in a situation where you found a surplus dealer or direct manufacturer that you trust, but they don’t have a product that matches your requirements.
If this occurs, the dealer/supplier is probably happy to create a customized system for your unique business needs.
If they are not willing to provide customizations, look elsewhere, someone else will.
Find a Dealer That Will Help You with the Installation of the Cabinet
Although a storage cabinet that sits on the ground may not seem like it would require installation assistance, it’s important to be overly cautious when it comes to anything related to gas cylinders.
So, even if you feel confident in your ability to install the storage cabinet on your own, at least engage a professional to review the installed cabinet for safety.
By reading this article, you’ve made a big step towards ensuring the safety of your employees and the surrounding community and environment. You’ve learned vented gas cylinder storage cabinet must-haves, the varying types available, how to select your supplier, and safety precautions to look out for throughout the procurement process, from shopping around to installation.
Now it’s time to act. Determine what you need, be discerning in your selection of both cabinet and supplier, and install your gas cylinder storage cabinet.
Have more questions? Please reach out to us for additional information, tips, or product referrals.