Never Mess With Industrial Cleaning Chemicals, and Here are The Reasons
Handle industrial cleaning chemicals with care. Learn the importance of properly handling industrial-grade cleaners and why you should never mess with them.
Industrial cleaning chemicals are powerful and efficient cleaning agents used to clean large areas or remove stubborn stains. But these industrial-grade cleaners can be hazardous if not handled with care.
What Are Industrial Cleaning Chemicals?
Industrial cleaning chemicals are powerful, concentrated formulas for heavy-duty cleaning applications in commercial and industrial establishments. These potent chemical compounds effectively remove dirt, grease, grime, oils, and tough stains from tile, concrete, metal surfaces, and more. They can be highly toxic and come in liquid form or as granules that must be dissolved in water before use.
How To Properly Handle and Use Industrial Cleaning Chemicals?
It is essential to store hazardous chemicals in a safe and organised manner to minimise the risk of accidents or injuries in the workplace, as many cleaning chemicals are harmful and can cause permanent damage. Some tips on how to store cleaning chemicals properly include:
- Clearly label the containers for high-risk chemicals with the name of the chemical and any warning labels, such as “caution,” “warning,” or “danger.” Labelling every container with a list of chemicals and safety warnings is vital to stay safe around dangerous substances.
- Keep each cleaning chemical in their original container, as transferring them to a new container can increase the risk of incorrect labelling or chemical reactions.
- Train cleaning staff on handling and storing cleaning chemicals, including any hazards associated with each chemical and emergency procedures. Taking the time to provide adequate instruction helps keep workers safe and creates a culture of safety within the organisation. With comprehensive training, employees should feel comfortable and able to handle any situation pertaining to the use or storage of cleaning chemicals.
- Obtain and store Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for each chemical in the chemical container or in a designated location where staff can access them in an emergency. For example, if a hazardous chemical spill occurs, workers should be able to access up-to-date emergency information.
- Choose a safe chemical storage area, such as a dedicated safety cabinet or a dry, clean, and well-ventilated area.
- Store cleaning chemicals away from heat sources, direct sunlight, and other chemicals to prevent reactions or spills. Use them in well-ventilated areas, and don’t overcrowd shelves.
- Keep chemical products at a reasonable height to minimise the risk of falls or spills. Larger containers should be stored on lower shelves, while smaller containers can be kept on the top shelf.
- Carry out a risk assessment based on each chemical’s hazard class.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that cleaning chemicals are stored safely in your workplace and minimise the risk of accidents or injuries.
Why Should We Be Careful in Handling Industrial Cleaning Chemicals?
When mishandled or improperly disposed of, industrial cleaning chemicals can cause skin irritation, burns, and other serious health problems. Some common industrial cleaning chemicals include chlorine bleach, hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, phosphoric acid, nitric acid, and sulphuric acid, which are all highly corrosive and toxic. They can also be flammable. Taking the wrong safety measures could lead to an accidental spill or release into the environment or on yourself or others, resulting in injury or even death. Therefore you must take all necessary precautions when handling these substances. Proper handling knowledge is essential for those in the:
- Cleaning industry
- Food preparation industry
- Any commercial setting
Knowing how to properly handle industrial cleaning chemicals is crucial for ensuring safety in an industrial setting. Always wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when using these products, read product labels carefully before use, store them away from food items in locked cabinets where children cannot access them and ensure that your workspace has adequate ventilation at all times. Following these cleaning chemical safety precautions will help ensure that you and others stay safe while using these potentially hazardous materials.
Choose Quality Cleaning Chemicals
It’s tough to find good-quality industrial-grade cleaning chemicals that are Australian-made.
Not only is it tough to find good quality industrial-grade cleaning chemicals, but it can also be expensive. And many chemical cleaning products can harm you and the environment.
Ecospill is here to help. We offer a range of high-quality, industrial-grade cleaning chemicals that are Australian-made and environmentally friendly. Plus, we have a variety of sizes so you can find the perfect product for your needs.
Call us now on 1300 736 116 for immediate advice.