5 Steps To Help You Choose The Correct Chemical Spill Kits
If your workplace uses, stores, or transports liquid chemicals or chemical waste, you’ll be familiar with the protocols that are in place to ensure the safe handling of these chemicals. Despite the measures you take when working with chemicals, spills can still occur because of human error, equipment failure and natural disasters. Having a chemical or hazchem spill kit to hand is an essential part of your emergency preparedness plan and is a legal requirement for worksites.
To abide by workplace safety laws, you need to ensure that you have the right type of chemical spill kit for your workplace. A chemical spill can pose a serious threat to both human health and the environment which makes having the right spill kit essential. The right spill kit can also reduce the financial consequences of a chemical spill by containing the spill and enabling quick, safe and effective cleanups. Asking yourself the following five questions can help you determine the correct chemical spill kit for your needs:
1. What liquids will you be absorbing?
The first question you need to ask yourself is what liquids will you be absorbing. The type of chemical spill kit you require depends on the type of chemicals that will be encountered. Chemical spill kits suppliers sell kits that can be used for a range of hazardous chemicals, as well as kits that are designed to absorb a particular type of liquid such as fuel and oil. Having the appropriate kit is crucial for a safe and effective spill cleanup.
2. What is the volume of your worst-case scenario spill?
The second step is to determine the amount of each chemical that would be released in the event of your worst-case scenario spill. Chemical spill kits are available in a range of sizes and your chemical spill kit supplier can help you choose the correct size.
3. Which kit works best for your location?
You also need to consider the environment in which your kit will be used and located. Make sure to purchase a chemical spill kit that is appropriate for the size and conditions of your workplace. There are hazchem spill kits available for both indoor and outdoor use. Here at Ecospill, we supply weatherproof chemical spill kits that are ideal for keeping on the back of a utility vehicle. Specialised kits are also available for chemical and oil spills in water.
4. Do you already have a container for your kit?
Chemical spill kits need to be quickly and easily accessible when you need them. This means that you need to have a suitable container to store your kit in. Our smaller spill kits come in a convenient carry bag which allows practical storage and easy transportation. Our larger kits come in a wheelie bin which you can easily move to the scene of a chemical spill and use for the proper disposal of contaminated materials.
5. Do you need any personal protective equipment (PPE)?
Chemical spills can be dangerous and it’s important that you protect yourself from the potential dangers posed by chemical spills. Chemical spills require the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) such as chemical-resistant gloves, eyewear and masks. Having suitable PPE as part of your chemical spill kit is fundamental for safe cleanups and helps you abide by the regulations that are in place to protect workers’ health and safety.
Some other things to consider when purchasing a chemical spill kit are:
- Ease-of-use. Some chemical spills are more difficult to manage than others, so you’ll want to make sure that the chemical spill kit you select is easy to use. All Ecospill Chemical Spill Kits come complete with a step-by-step instruction card that shows you how to clean up spills safely and efficiently. We also deliver spill kits and spill response training courses that teach employees how to safely respond to chemical spills.
- The availability of replacement components. At some point, you’ll need to replace some or all of your spill kit’s components so you’ll also want to think about the availability of replacement chemical spill kit components. Ecospill offers a complete range of products including absorbent materials, absorbent pads, and spill socks that enable you to restock your chemical spill kits quickly and easily.
Chemical spill kits are a key component of the safe and effective management of chemical spills. Any workplace that handles hazardous substances has a legal obligation to have adequate chemical spill kits onsite. When purchasing a chemical spill kit, it’s important to consider:
- What chemicals you may need to absorb
- The size of your worst-case scenario spill
- The location and conditions in which you’ll use your kit
- How you’ll contain and store your spill kit
- What PPE you need
- How easy the kit is to use
- The availability of replacement components
Ecospill is one of Australia’s leading chemical spill kits suppliers. Please contact us online or on 07 3881 0554 for assistance choosing the correct chemical spill kit for your needs.